Q1. COMPLETE THE SENTENCES.
- HUNTER GATHERER CHOSE TO LIVE IN CAVES AND ROCK SHELTERS BECAUSE THESE SHELTERS PROTECTED THEM FROM WILD ANIMALS AND BAD WEATHER CONDITIONS.
- GRASSLANDS DEVELOPED AROUND 12000 YEARS AGO.
Q2. Why do people who grow crops have to stay in the same place for a long time?
ANS – The people who grow crops have to stay in the same place for a long time-
- as they have to take care of their crops.
- constant watering TON CROPS.
- protect THEIR CROPS FROM from birds and animals.
Q3. Why do archaeologists think that many people who lived in Mehrgarh were hunters to start with and that herding became more important later?
- Archeologists have found bones of wild animals form lower level of Mehrgarh This proves that people in Mehrgarh earlier were hunters.
- bones of domestic animals from the upper level PROVED THAT THEY turned into herders.
Q4. Why did the hunter-gatherers travel from place to place? In what ways are these similar to/different from the reasons for which we travel today?
ANS. HUNTER-GATHERERS TRAVELLED FROM PLACE TO PLACE FOR THE REASONS GIVEN BELOW-
- IF THEY STAYED AT ONE PLACE FOR A LONG TIME, THEY WOULD HAVE EATEN UP ALL THE RESOURCES (FOOD) AVAILABLE THERE.
- EARLY PEOPLE FOLLOWED ANIMALS TO HUNT THEM AND ANIMALS ALSO MOVED FROM PLACE TO PLACE.
- EARLY PEOPLE TRVELLED FROM ONE PLACE TO ANOTHER PLACE IN SEARCH OF WATER.
NOWADAYS WE TRAVELLED FOR DIFFERENT PURPOSES LIKE EDUCATION, JOB, BUSINESS AND FOR TOURISM ALSO.
Q5. List three ways in which hunter-gatherers used fire (see page15). Would you use fire for any of these purposes today?
ANS. HUNTER- GATHERERS USED FIRE FOR-
- A SOURCE OF LIGHT
- TO COOK MEAT OR FOOD.
- TO SCARE AWAY WILD ANIMALS.
NOWADAYS WE USE FIRE FOR COOKING AND KEEP OUR BODY WARM.
Q6. List three ways in which the lives of farmers and herders would have been different from that of huntergatherers.
- Hunter-gatherers kept traveling from place to place whereas farmers had to live at the same place to take care of their crops.
- Hunter-gatherers depended on the meat of wild animals whereas farmers and herders used plants, crops, and cattle.
- Hunter-gatherers did not have any settled life whereas farmers-herders gradually settled in huts.