Q1- Answer the following questions briefly.
- What is the true shape of the earth?
ANS- The true shape of the Earth is a sphere flattened at the poles. Such a shape is called a geoid.
- What is a globe?
ANS. Globe is the true model of the Earth.
- What is the latitudinal value of the Tropic of Cancer?
ANS. Latitudinal value of Tropic of cancer is 23½° N.
- What are the three heat zones of the Earth?
ANS. The three heat zones are:
- Torrid Zone
- Temperate Zone
- Frigid Zone
- What are parallels of latitude and meridians of longitude?
- All parallel circles from the equator up to the poles are called parallels of latitudes.
- Lines of references running from the North Pole to the South Pole are called meridians of longitude.
- Why does the torrid zone receive maximum amount of heat?
ANS. The Torrid Zone receives the maximum heat when the mid-day sun is exactly overhead at least once a year on all latitudes in between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn.
- Why is it 5.30 p.m. in India and 12.00 noon in London?
ANS. India is located east of Greenwich at 82°30’E is 5 hours and 30 minutes ahead of GMT. So it will be 7:30 p.m. in India when it is 2:00 p.m. noon in London.
Q 2- Tick the correct answer.
(a) The value of the prime meridian is
(i) 90 ° (ii) 0° (iii) 60°
ANS- (ii) 0°
(b) The frigid zone lies near
(i) the Poles (ii) the Equator (iii) the Tropic of Cancer
ANS- (i) The poles
( c) The total number of longitudes are
(i) 360 (ii) 180 (iii) 90
ANS- (ii) 180
( d) The Antarctic Circle is located in
(i) the Northern hemisphere
(ii) the Southern hemisphere
(iii) the Eastern hemisphere
ANS- (ii) the southern hemisphere
( e) Grid is a network of
(i) parallels of latitudes and meridians of longitudes
(ii) the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn
(iii) the North Pole and the South Pole
ANS- (i) parallels of latitudes and meridians of longitudes
Q 3- Fill in the blanks.
(a) The Tropic of Capricorn is located at ____ _
(b) The Standard Meridian of India is _____ _
(c) The 0° Meridian is also known as _____ _
( d) The distance between the longitudes decreases towards _ _
( e) The Arctic Circle is located in the ____ hemisphere.
(a) The Tropic of Capricorn is located at 23½°N.
(b) The Standard Meridian of India is 82°30′ E Longitude.
(c) The 0° Meridian is also known as Prime Meridian.
( d) The distance between the longitudes decreases towards poles. ( e) The Arctic Circle is located in the northern hemisphere