Q1. Answer the following question briefly.
a) Which winds bring rainfall in India? Why is it so important?
Ans. Monsoon winds bring rainfall in India. Agriculture in India depends on rains so monsoon winds are very important.
b) Name the different seasons in India.
- Cold Weather Season (Winter)
- Hot Weather Season (summer)
- Southwest Monsoon season (Rainy)
- Season of retreating Monsoon (Autumn).
c) What is natural vegetation?
Ans. The grasses, Shrubs and Trees that grow on their own without any human interference of help are known as natural vegetation.
d) Name the different types of vegetation found in India.
- Tropical evergreen forests
- Tropical deciduous forests
- Thorny bushes
- Mountain vegetation
- Mangrove vegetation
e) What is the difference between evergreen forests and deciduous forests?
Ans. Evergreen forests–
- These forests are so dense.
- These forests are found in the areas of heavy rainfall.
- Important trees found in these forests are- mahogany, ebony and rosewood.
- They shed their leaves at different times of the year.
- These forests are found in Andaman and Nicobar Islands, parts of North Eastern states and some parts of Western Ghats.
- These forests are less dense.
- They shed their leaves at a particular time of year.
- These forests are found in a large part of the country.
- Important trees of these forests are sal, teak, peepal, neem and sheesham.
- These forests are found in Madhya pradesh, Uttar pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand, Chattisgarh, Odisha and part of maharashtra.
f) Why is tropical rainforests also called evergreen forests?
Ans. Tropical rainforest always appear green and therefore it is called evergreen forest.
Q2. Tick the correct answer.
a) The world’s highest rainfall occurs in-
iii) Mawsynram ✔
b) Mangrove forests can thrive in-
i) Saline water ✔
ii) Fresh water
iii) Polluted water
c) Mahogany and Rosewood trees are found in-
i) Mangrove forests
ii) Tropical deciduous forests
iii) tropical evergreen forests ✔
d) Wild goats and snow leopards are found in-
i) Himalayan region ✔
ii) Peninsular region
iii) Gir forests
e) During the south-west monsoon period the moisture laden winds blows from-
i) Land to sea
ii) sea to land ✔
iii) plateau to plains
Q3. Fill in the blanks-
a) Hot and dry winds known as loo blow during the day in summers.
b) The states of Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu receive a great amount of rainfall during the season of retreating monsoon.
c) Gir forest in Gujrat is the home of Aisatic lions.
d) Sundari is a well known species of mangrove forests.
e) Tropical deciduous forests are also called monsoon forests.