Q1. What problem did the villagers in hardas village face? What did they do to solve this problem?
- The villagers in hardas village faced water problem.
- The villagers gathered in gram sabha, after a long discussion they came to a conclusion that, to conserve water, a watershed development programme would be effective in this direction.
- They should plant trees, construct check dams and tanks.
Q2. What in your opinion is the importance of the gram sabha? Do you think all members should attend gram sabha meetings? Why?
- The gram sabha is responsible for the planning out the strategies for the development of village.
- It takes care of the public property of the village.
- The gram sabha is responsible for education, law and order, primary health services and also checks the decision of the panchayat.
- It is important to attend gram sabha meetings because various plans and strategies related to village are discussed.
Q3. What is the link between a gram sabha and a gram panchayat?
- A gram sabha consists of all adults living in a village.
- The gram panchayat has a secretary who is also the secretary of gram sabha.
- The secretary is appointed by the government and is responsible for calling the meetings of gram sabha and gram panchayat.
- He also maintains the records of the meetings of panchayat.
- Gram sabha controls the functioning of the gram panchayat.
Q4. Take an example of any task done by a panchayat in your area/nearby rural area and find out the following.
A). Why it was taken up.
Ans. Our panchayat recently undertook the task of building a community hall. It was necessary because there was no such common place where people could gather for general meeting or any social function.
B). Where the money come from.
Ans. The money was collected as contribution from the villagers and some part of it was also taken from panchayat welfare fund.
C). Whether or not the work has been completed.
Ans. Yes, the work has been completed within projected time.
Q 5. What is the difference between a gram sabha and a gram panchayat?
- A gram sabha consists of all adults living in a village while gram panchayat is elected by the members of the gram sabha.
- The area of gram sabha is the entire village whereas gram panchayat is divided into wards.
- gram sabha controls the functioning of the gram panchayat.