Q1. What do you understand by the word ‘government’? List five ways in which you think the government affect your daily life.
Ans. The word government refers to a governing body that makes decisions and gets things done for the welfare of its citizens.
The ways the government affect our daily life-
- It maintains peace and order in the society.
- It controls crime.
- It provide help in conditions of natural disasters.
Q2. Why do you think the government needs to make rules for everyone in the form of laws?
Ans. The government needs laws to maintain peace and order in society. Law makes it compulsory for the people to obey it.
Q3. Name two essential features of a democratic government.
- Democracy is a rule by the people.
- In a democracy people have the power to elect their leader.
Q4. What was suffrage movement? What did it accomplish?
Ans. The movement for voting rights to women came to be known as suffrage movement. American women got the right to vote in 1920 while in uk in 1928.
Q5. Gandhiji strongly believed that every adult in india should be given the right to vote. However, a few people don’t share his views. They feel that illiterate people who are mainly poor, should not be given the right to vote. What do you think? Do you think this would be a form of discrimination? Give five points to support your view and share these with the class.
Ans. All citizens are equal. The constitution provides equality to all.
- We have no right to discriminate anyone on the basis of poverty.
- An illiterate is also a citizen of india. He should not be debarred from voting right.
- Our constitution provides equal rights to all its citizens.