Q 1- Why are resources distributed unequally over the earth?
- The distribution of resources depends upon a number of physical factors like terrain, climate and altitude.
- Since these factors differ so much over the Earth, the distribution of resources is unequal.
Q 2- What is resource conservation?
ANS- Using resources carefully and giving them time to get renewed is called resource conservation.
Q 3- Why are human resources important?
ANS- Human resources are important because-
- People can make the best uses of nature to create more resources.
- By applying knowledge, skill and technology.
Q 4- What is sustainable development?
- Balancing the need to use resources and carefully utilizing resources.
- Conserve them for the future generations is called sustainable development.
Q2. Tick the correct answer.
i) Which one of the following does NOT make substance a resource?
(a) utility (b) value (c) quantity
ANS- (c) Quantity
ii) Which one of the following is a human made resource?
(a) medicines to treat cancer (b) spring water (c) tropical forests
ANS. (a) Medicines to treat cancer.
iii) Complete the statement. Biotic resources are
(a) derived from living things (b) made by human beings (c) derived from non-living things
ANS. (a) Derived from living things.
Q 3- Differentiate between the followings.
(a) Potential and actual resources
- A resource whose entire quantity is not known.
- Not being used at present, but could be used in the future.
- The present level of technology is not advanced enough to utilise it.
- Example: The uranium found in Ladakh, which could be used in the future.
- A resource whose quantity is known.
- Being used in the present.
- The present level of technology is advanced enough to utilise it.
- Example: The dark soils of the Deccan plateau in Maharashtra.
(b) Ubiquitous and localized resources
i)A resource which is found everywhere.
ii) Example: The air we breathe.
- A resource which is found only in certain places.
- Example: Copper.