Q 1- Answer the following questions briefly.
- How does a planet differ from a star?
- A planet does not have its own heat and light they lit by the light of stars.
- Whereas a star have its own heat and light.
- stars are bigger in size as comparison to planets.
- What is meant by the ‘Solar System’?
ANS- The sun, eight planets, satellites and some other celestial bodies known as asteroids and meteoroids form the solar system.
- Name all the planets according to their distance from the sun.
ANS- Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.
- Why is the Earth called a unique planet?
- The earth is neither too hot nor too cold.
- It has water and air, which are very essential for our survival.
- The air has life-supporting gases like oxygen.
- Because of these reasons, the earth is a unique planet in the solar system.
- Why do we see only one side of the moon always?
- The moon moves around the earth in about 27 days.
- It takes exactly the same time to complete one spin.
- As a result, only one side of the moon is visible to us on the earth.
- What is the Universe?
ANS- Universe is the collection of millions of galaxies.
Q2- Tick the correct answer.
(a) The planet known as the “Earth’s Twin” is
(i) Jupiter (ii) Saturn (iii) Venus
ANS- (iii) Venus
(b) Which is the third nearest planet to the sun ?
(i) Venus (ii) Earth (iii) Mercury
ANS- (ii) Earth
(c) All the planets move around the sun in a
(i) Circular path (ii) Rectangular path (iii) Elongated path
ANS- (iii) Elongated path
(d) The Pole Star indicates the direction to the
(i) South (ii) North (iii) East
ANS- (ii) North
(e) Asteroids are found between the orbits of
(i) Saturn and Jupiter (ii) Mars and Jupiter (iii) The Earth and Mars
ANS- (ii) Mars and Jupiter
Q 3: Fill in the blanks.
(a) A group of ___ forming various patterns is called a __ _
(b) A huge system of stars is called _ _
(c) ___ is the closest celestial body to our earth.
( d) ___ is the third nearest planet to the sun.
( e) Planets do not have their own __ and _____ _
ANS 3: (a) A group of star forming various patterns is called a constellation.
(b) A huge system of stars is called galaxy.
(c) Moon is the closest celestial body to our earth.
(d) Earth is the third nearest planet to the sun.
(e) Planets do not have their own heat and light.